Whether renting or buying, these works fuse life with splendour and an artist’s unique view of life.
1. In Mark Strutt’s “Big Thinkers,” dark cracks and wrinkles contrast the soft dirt-covered faces on a pair of solemn elephants, allowing the audience to share a simple moment of peaceful intrigue with two serene giants. www.thefocusgallery.ca
2. Overlaying the style and imagery of contemporary realism with elements of abstraction, this piece by Onyeka Ibe offers a dreamlike lens into an intimate moment of the 2006’s International Artexpo New York Best Solo Artist’s life.
3. Carved out of stone by an unknown artist, this bear statue can be purchased from the Art Gallery of Ontario for $400 or rented for $20/month.
4. Self-described as an “expressionist-colourist,” French painter Jean Claude Roy holds a deep passion for Newfoundland’s landscapes, and uses a rich, eclectic pallette to transform this love into a surreal wonderland.
5. Recently selling for $278,500 Cdn at a Sotheby’s auction, this oil painting by renowned Canadian painter David Milne demonstrates his impressionist-influenced style that embraces modernist experimentation.