University of the West Indies (UWI) Benefit Gala [w/video]
On March 26th, 2011, more than 500 guests swayed to classic Caribbean sound waves at Toronto’s opulent Four Seasons Hotel for the 2nd annual University of the West Indies (UWI) Benefit Gala. The entertaining night honoured exceptional Canadians of Caribbean descent that have made remarkable contributions to their communities and have invigorated the UWI’s mission of giving individuals in the West Indies an education.
Recipients of this year’s Luminary Award include Canada’s former governor general Michaëlle Jean, Olympic champion Donovan Bailey and corporate icon Michael Lee-Chin. Once again raising the bar of benevolence, the UWI Benefit Gala amassed $300,000 for its Scholarship Fund and Haitian Initiative.
1. LEFT TO RIGHT: UWI chancellor Sir George Alleyne, UWI vice chancellor, professor E. Nigel Harris, and Luminary Award recipient Michael Lee-Chin.
2. L-R: Tracy Vogrin, wife of Ryerson University president Sheldon Levy and Thalia Lyn, chair of National Commercial Bank Foundation, Jamaica.
3. L-R: E. Nigel Harris, UWI chancellor and professor, Luminary Award recipient and former governor general Michaëlle Jean with gala patron G. Raymond Chang.
4. L-R: Gap Adventures founder and Chancellor’s Award recipient Bruce Poon Tip.
5. L-R: Luminary Award recipients Donovan Bailey, Right Hon. Michaëlle Jean and Michael Lee-Chin.
6. L-R: UWI director of alumni relations Celia Davidson-Francis, executive director of the UWI Institutional Advancement Division Elizabeth Buchanan-Hind, patron G. Raymond Chang and his wife, Donette Chin-Loy.
7. L-R: Luminary Award recipient and Olympic champion Donovan Bailey.
8. L-R: Manager UWI Gala secretariat Amanda Chin-Loy and Donette Chin-Loy.
9. L-R: UWI professors Archibald Campbell, Luther Seabrook, Lou La Grassa and Vice Chancellor’s Award recipient Keith Forde.
10. L-R: Harry Rosen and David Suzuki.
11. L-R: Former Canadian High Commissioner to Jamaica and the Bahamas John Robinson, immediate past Canadian High Commissioner to Jamaica and the Bahamas Denis Kingsley and wife, Jo Ann MacDonald; UWI pro-vice chancellor, board for undergraduate studies Alvin Wint.
12. Vice Challencor’s Award recipient Hon. Justice Irving André.